Tuesday, June 8

I had an interesting tempo run this morning. The whole thing started on Monday evening. I was supposed to run an easy 4 miler, but I was so tired (sleepy), and it was so warm outside, that I decided to skip the run and to go to bed early. And also, to get up this morning early to do my Tuesday tempo run.

It was a total of 6 miles, with two easy miles (first and last), and 4 miles at 7:05/mile. Normally, I run 7 minutes miles for tempo, but this is a hilly course, so I allow a little extra time per mile on average. Usually I run the first fast mile in 7:10. This is the hardest mile because of a steady downhill and a steep uphill. Then I would do two 7 minutes miles (mostly flat ones), and 7:10 on the last hilly mile (which is a first mile backwards).

Today the first splits were:
7:08, all is fine.
6:52. I knew this was fast, but I felt just fine. I decided to slow down a bit.
6:50. OK, I thought I slowed down, but apparently I haven't. I only check the splits at my mile markers, so I wasn't aware of my speed during this mile.
7:28. At the beginning of this mile, out of nowhere, I just suddenly died. I don't remember this happening to me before. One moment, I was feeling fine, then, maybe about 100 yards after my mile marker, I felt very winded, extreme stabbing side stitches, pains in my body everywhere. It was so bad, that I almost decided to stop. But then, I thought, this is a good opportunity for training to be tough, so I ran on. I was hurting so bad that I felt screamed out loud a few times. I was dragging myself for about a half of a mile. Then I recovered somewhat, and I ran up the last hill at a relatively steady pace, saving my time: the average of the 4 miles was 7:04.50.

I don't know what this means; this was last fast workout before another race on Saturday. I decided to run a 10K just two weeks from my disappointing 5K. In retrospect, the 5K was OK, nobody in the field I (or Alex) knows got any close to their PR. I don't expect a terrific time from the 10K. A sub-42 would be nice, but I can't predict the weather and I don't know the course. It is also a small race, so probably there won't be many markers on the course. Then I'll probably hang up my running shoes for a few weeks and I restart with 5K training early August. I want to do a full cycle of 12 weeks and see if I can smash my time in November.

No comments: