Sunday, August 25

Friday night I ran my first real measurable fast workout of this training cycle, though the circumstances were far from ideal. It was 5 x 800 meters intervals. It was late in the night (dark), and I intentionally didn't run during the day because it was so hot. Even after 10pm, when I left for the run, it was still 80 F. I ran at Waggener High School track; not the best, and I had to move benches from the inner lane and dodge sprinklers.

Warning: if you are easily grossed out, you might want to skip this paragraph. So in the second lap of the second interval, I had to run really hard to keep my time decent, and I felt that I was losing control of my rectal muscles. I had to slow down a bit so I didn't crap my shorts. I though my intervals were over, and I wasn't sure I can get home without an accident. But it was really dark at the track, so I just took a dump in the shadows by the track; used some grass to wipe my ass, and then I felt liberated. The I thought that I might as well finish the intervals.

It wasn't easy. I had to push myself to the limit on every single one of them to just put them under 3 minutes. Splits are 2:54, 2:57, 2:54, 2:58, 2:58 (hundredths are rounded down). But with the circumstances, I say it's not too bad. Average of 2:57.7. It barely hits the 1:27 HM McMillan training times, but under more ideal circumstances and later in the training cycle a HM PR is not out of the question.

No comments: