Monday, August 3

Today was the first time that I ran a continuous tempo run (as opposed to intervals) since (I think) last fall. Though this was actually treadmill. Still, managed 6:18 pace for 5 miles. The most incredible thing was that it felt fairly easy! Never in the pain cave, and what's more, stayed with a 2-2 breathing pattern all the way.

These are good quality treadmills, so hopefully they are correctly calibrated. I couldn't do this workout outside, because it was over 90 degrees, and at this time of the year in this part of the country it's very hot until very late (it is still 82 F as of this writing).

If this is correct, this must be the best tempo I've ever run by far. The fastest 5-mile tempo I've found in my blog is 2013 Spring, and it was at 6:25/mile. Last fall (outside, in warm weather) I ran tempos at 6:30/mile on a good day, and I still managed a sub-1:25 hilly half marathon.

I'm ambivalent about running the Urban Bourbon Half Marathon all out two weeks before my marathon. My team counts on me, even if I just run a slow-7 fast-10K combination (say, in 1:35), as per my training plan. But it feels wrong not to give 100%.

No comments: