Sunday, July 16

After the 5K I had slower week, mostly because I was taking my CPAT test, and I didn't want any risk of failing it. The embarrassment would have been enormous. I started Pfitzinger's 18/70 plan after a few days of break from running. Right now I'm two days behind, because I run the schedule on a Tuesday to Monday cycle, and the target race is on Saturday as opposed to Sunday.

However, I have another option. There will be a marathon in Louisville on November 12, Sunday. If I run that, I'm 6 days ahead of schedule. Which is great if there is a problem that makes me miss important workouts, but it's a problem if I peak too soon. I'll have to make a decision in about a month, but I do strongly lean toward running Louisville. It's a smaller race, much closer to home. It has some nasty hills, but Bowling Green has that, too. And I'm rather familiar with course, because it is entirely in The Parklands, which is one of my favorite training places.

Here is the plan for next week.

M: MP, 16 mi w/ 8 mi @ marathon race pace (oh my!)
T: Rest
W: MLR, 11 mi
T: MLR, 13 mi
F: R, 5 mi
S: LT, 9 mi w/ 4 mi @ threshold pace
S: R, 5 mi

Using 55 VDOT, threshold pace is 6:20, marathon race pace is 6:43. If that's too hard, I'll ease back as necessary, but would be nice to run at least 6:26 pace for threshold and 6:49 for marathon paced, as that is VDOT 54. If I don't have at least 54 VDOT, it is a long shot to run under 3 hours on a hilly course in the fall.

No comments: