Monday, June 8

First week of Phase III is done. This went quite well. I did the VO2max workout in the gym. (90 degrees outside.) Good choice. I managed to do it and it felt OK. Hard, but fine. It was 5 x 4 minutes (3 min jogs), and I ran the fast intervals at 10 mph (6 min/mile), while the recoveries were at 6 mph (10 min/mile).

I ran the threshold run at the track, even though it was still hot. 5 x 1600 m with 1 min rests. I was aiming for 6:30 splits, but managed a bit better: 6:26, 6:28, 6:30, 6:26, 6:23. This was also reasonable.

It seems like I'm getting pretty close to 3-hour shape. In fact these training paces are spot on for a 3-hour marathon according to Jack Daniel's on-line calculator. According to that, a 3-hour marathon corresponds to 53.5 VDOT, which is 5:58 min/mile interval pace, and 6:29/mile (~6:27/1600 m) threshold.

Of course hills are extra hard, but maybe there is hope now for a 3-hour marathon in the fall.

No comments: