Tuesday, August 25

I haven't run for more than a week now, deliberately. I wanted to give my body a break before I start to train for the marathon. Training starts today with easy 4 miles: without the speed work and somewhat slower paces, this week (and the first few) look definitely easier than the rigorous 5K training I did for my last race. I have a few easy 4 milers, a hilly 6-miler (I think) and a 7-mile long run in the weekend.

My Achilles problems are pretty much gone, thank god! Though I haven't run, I rode my bike at least an hour every day, sometimes over hard, hilly course. It is easy for me, because I again commute by bike and now we live more than 6 miles from campus.

This week was the longest break (by far) I took from running since last December. It was hard for the first few days, but I got used to it. Maybe I *could* quit running! :) For now I'm very excited that I am turning into the finish line for my marathon goal.

There was a question at sign-up about my goal time. I gave 3:30. According to most running calculators, I should be able to achieve that time, but it's not that clear that I can do it on first attempt. I will start training with that goal pace in mind, and I may modify it later if it feels too hard.

No comments: