Friday, April 2

Last check-in before the race tomorrow. My week was a little hectic, real life, some pleasure seeking activity and uncertainty in the slightly modified SmartCoach plan that I was using resulted in only two 4-mile runs early in the week. I did a bit of cross training (riding my bike to work almost every day, coaching my daughter's soccer team on Wednesday), but my exercise volume has never been this low on race week. We will see how this will work out.

I still haven't found a 5K plan that I would really like. All the free popular on-line plans (Higdon, Luff, etc.) that I know are very low on miles, and even the advanced plan of Higdon seems to be for (advanced) beginners - with quite a bit of speedwork, but still peaking at about 30 miles. So I decided to buy Pfitzinger's "Road Running for Serious Runners" book. I have Pfitzinger's marathoning book, which I like a lot, so I thought this guy must know something. I probably chose suboptimal shipping method though, because I ordered the book on March 30th and so far the book was delivered from Wichita, Kansas to Des Moines, Iowa (almost opposite direction).

Tomorrow I will shoot for 20:30 or below - I'll see how running feels, and adjust accordingly. I would be *very* disappointed if I didn't go below 21 minutes.

No comments: