Sunday, March 3

Week -6 is finished. These weeks are pretty hard!

5 x 600 on Tuesday, and remember, I had a 22-miler on Sunday. It was OK, though it didn't feel particularly easy. I was aiming for 2:12/split, and ran 2:09, 2:13, 2:12, 2:11, 2:11. There were soccer players warming up on the high school track, and they were total assholes. Jogging 3-4 abreast with no regard of faster runners. I ran with Flora, and she probably did the longest run of her life!

Medium long (14) on Wednesday where my legs were still (or again) tired. Then two recovery days, and there was supposed to be a tune-up race on Saturday.

I wasn't able to find any appropriate race at a reasonable distance. So I decided to run a 6-mile threshold run. Since I had to take Esther to the gym anyway, I ran on the treadmill. I started with a setting of 9.5 mph (6:18/mile), and felt surprisingly easy. So much so that I cranked it up to 9.6 (6:15/mile) for the next two miles or so, meanwhile deciding to run 10K instead of just 6 miles. When I still felt great, I kept increasing the speed bit by bit, until I hit 9.9 mph (6:03/mile), where the treadmill maxed out. I ran the last ~0.5 mile at that pace. I finished the 10K in about 39 minutes.

So, yeah, it's treadmill, so it's easier, maybe even it was incorrectly calibrated, but if not, it's fair to say that I hit 55 VDOT. Which means that I do have a pretty good chance of a 3-hour marathon if the weather cooperates and I don't mess it up.

I ran 18 miles today, the day after the workout. I felt my legs at the start, but at the end it felt reasonably easy. I didn't push the pace hard, but still finished with 7:41/mile average (with heavy snow at the beginning), and three strong miles at the end. It's amazing that in perspective, 18 miles doesn't seem that long.

No comments: