Wednesday, April 1

I must have screwed up something badly yesterday. My first post race run was an "easy" 3-miler, and boy, it did *not* feel easy. These are the potentially bad things I did:

- I ate too much for dinner. (I went to run at around 10pm.)
- I had a coffee just before my run. (BTW, I hate coffee with sugar, but since I've taken up running I got into the habit of eating two teaspoons of brown sugar before drinking my afternoon/evening coffee.)
- I skipped too much training because of the race. I didn't run the two days before the race and I skipped two days after that for recovery.
- I skipped too little training before I got back to it.
- I rode my bicycle too hard on Monday and Tuesday. On Monday, I rode hard, because I thought I would use my commute as cross training. After all I didn't do any physical activity on Sunday, except for some easy hiking with my family. On Tuesday, I was sort of late from work in the morning, and I felt like pushing a little bit in the afternoon.
- I ran too fast. I covered the 3 miles in 26:07. I was supposed to do in 27 minutes.

I also used my new Asics shoes but that is very unlikely to have caused any problem. This is not my first run in these: I run 5 miles before yesterday in these shoes and that went absolutely fine. I really do like these shoes except for two minor things. The first is that it has a little arch support, even though it is advertised as a neutral shoe. This wouldn't be a problem by itself, but I'm not used to supporting shoes, and so running in one makes me feel like I overpronate. I know I don't, and I have to consciously watch myself so that don't try to compensate it. The second problem is the sizing: number 8 is too small, 8.5 is slightly too large for me. I settled with the 8.5, but it is not a perfect fit. But otherwise, these are good shoes.

No comments: