Saturday, June 20

I've just arrived from my pre-run bike ride. I rode the long route I plan to ride tomorrow morning. It is going to be 21.1 kilometers, which is exactly half of a marathon distance. This is going to be a big jump for me, as my longest run so far was only 16.5 kilometers, it it should be OK: I haven't run this week that much (sort of like a taper), and I haven't run in the last two days. I will try to run it relatively fast, so that I would do it in 1 hour and 55 minutes. The idea is that this should be the next stepping stone to the 4 hour marathon.

Why the change of plans? I want to race, that's why. So instead of spending two more weeks training for a half marathon time trial (that is, I run as fast as I can, but it is not an official race), I will just run my minimum goal on the half marathon distance tomorrow. I won't try to run faster than that, and after I'll have done it, I will spend three weeks to prepare for a 5K where I will try to break 21 minutes.

My goal for tomorrow is 1:55, but I will tolerate time up to 2 hours. If I can't do the run in two hours, then I'll cancel the 5K plans, and go back to work on my endurance.

BTW, I met a nice guy on the road today. He stopped to check on me when I was collecting tree branches to mark a spot by the road (the spot that is 6.5 miles from my home), asking me if I was OK. Then we rode back to the city together, talking. He is a mechanic and works in one of the bicycle shops in town, which I visited many times. After he told me who he was, I realized that I even talked to him, when I shopped for my bicycle. We stopped by his house in town, and he invited me to taste his home made beer. So talked like a half an hour in his house, sipping his beer. His house was a dump (I almost felt uncomfortable), but his beer was very delicious. He is a very nice guy.

I'll write tomorrow about how my run went. If I won't post, I may have died. :)

No comments: