Tuesday, July 14

OK, I admit it, I have a running problem. Remember last week, that I decided I would skip a week of running after my race? I didn't run on Sunday and Monday, and I rode my bicycle both days. It was fun, and I though I would do that the whole week. But then I thought about the upcoming training for my marathon, then the time before I would start it, then I thought it would be so cool to have a sub-21 minute 5K time, and that I might be able to do it with some specific training before my marathon training starts - one thing led to another, and this morning, when I left home, I threw my running outfit into my backpack that I bring to work, and now I know that at 5:30, instead of going home, I will head to the university track to get in some speed training. I will probably race again another 5K on August 15 in Prosperity, SC.

I will do two fast workouts a week following Christine Luff's advanced 5K training schedule from running.about.com. I start it at week 4, because I only have 5 weeks until the race. She makes you run a track interval training AND a tempo run every week. Hal Higdon's plan, which I followed previously, will make you run intervals one week and tempo the next. Though Higdon makes you run fast on Saturday every other week, I still think that his plan is not challenging enough, and contains too many "junk miles". Also, I like that Luff's plan has a 5-mile run on Wednesdays, which will coincide the 5-mile group run, and he doesn't make you "test run" a 5K - I don't need that, I just did it on Saturday.

No comments: