Monday, July 6

Since the strap of my wristwatch has been broken, I struggled with it carrying it in various ways. When I just went to my everyday business, I didn't even carry a watch: my cell phone shows the time anyway. But I don't carry a cell phone on my runs, besides, it doesn't have a chronometer, so on my runs, I tried to carry my watch in my pocket, or tied to the cord of my shorts. My best running shorts don't have a pocket, and the cord solution is quite inconvenient.

I have had this watch for about a year, and I absolutely loved it. It was a very cheap one I bought in Target, maybe for like $12. It was a basic, no-name sports watch, and when I bought it, I didn't even think about using it for sports. I just liked to be able to measure time exactly, to the second. Then, about two months ago, the strap caught the side of the canoe during an (otherwise great) canoe trip, which broke the clasp, some parts of which immediately fell into the murky water. It was of course unrepairable, or at least not under $12. But I hate to throw away an otherwise perfectly good watch, so I tried to get by with it.

The last straw that broke the camel's back was that on my long run on Sunday, as I carried my watch in my Fuel Belt, a button got pressed accidentally, and for a while I thought I lost the time measurement for the run. Then I figured out, that the button was the "time split" button, so it was all well, but it is clearly just a matter of time until some data loss occurs. So I did my research in the weekend, and I bought this watch. It has everything I can think of I would need, and I actually only paid $35 for it in Wal-mart. It is a great watch, and most excitingly, it has a memory for 30 splits! So when I run intervals, I won't have to stop after every lap to record my time with paper and pencil. I also think it extremely cool-looking. Very light, comfortable, and hopefully it will last: after all it is a Timex.

No comments: