Saturday, June 30

Thursday I had to miss my group run - the temperature was 101 degrees and the air quality was "unhealthy". Actually most likely everyone bailed, so it would have been a group run of one. Anyway, this had the consequence that I had an URD, and I didn't switch to Sunday week starts.

Today I ran 13.5 miles in the morning, and it was really hard. It was only 79 degrees, so I don't quite understand why it was so hard, but I felt I was done at mile 9... maybe the humidity, or my old shoes, or whatever. I ran shirtless for most of the run, only put on the shirt in last 2 miles on the highway overpasses, because the sun was up high, no shadows there, and I didn't want to get sunburned. Nevertheless, both my shorts and my shirt was completely soaked with sweat. I hung them out to dry and they dripped so much that they produced this fairly large puddle of sweat. Gross, but sort of funny, too. I lost 3 lbs during the run, even though I drank about a liter of water.

My pair of New Balance is now well over 500 miles, so I really should retire them. They don't feel right any more. I already ordered the new pair. But I think I'll still use the good old NB tomorrow, because I want to go for the trail run in Jefferson Memorial Forest. I miss the trails, and I only need a 7.6 easy run to complete my week.

Next week (#11), beginning on 7/2:
Total: 53 miles.
Long runs: 10 and 14 miles.
VO2 max: 5 x 2:30 uphill. Recovery: min 1:15, max 2:15. Even with 2 miles warmup and 2 miles recovery this will be roughly 7 miles. Round it up to 7.25 to make it equal to the easy runs.
Easy runs: 3 x 7.25 miles

Edit: Now I have mild cramps in my calf muscles. I think I have electrolyte depletion... I should get back to Gatorade for my long runs, at least *some* Gatorade. Maybe that's why it was so hard today.

No comments: