Saturday, March 9

Finished the week with a tempo today of 5 miles. It was tough. I tried to run 6:20s, but at mile 2 or so, I had to realize it wasn't going to happen. So I settled to do 6:25s. Splits were 6:23, 6:21, 6:30, 6:30, 6:24, the whole last mile deep in the paincave. Average was 6:25.48, which barely qualifies as tempo according to McMillan, but at least it was 5 miles, and at least it wasn't like 6:30. I do have trouble with my stamina. The good news is that these very training runs are supposed to make it better. The other good news is that almost surely the 60-some mile weeks don't let me fully recover, so I will hopefully get better after some taper.

Addition: After I wrote this post I checked back to see what 5-mile tempo I've run in the past. So the good news is that the fastest before this was at 6:30 pace last fall, and I was very satisfied with it. This was probably a less hilly course though, but at least I didn't get slower.

No comments: