Saturday, February 3

I finished the full week without much trouble, though the LT max workout was less than perfect. The goal was to run 3 miles at threshold pace, rest for 2 minutes, and the run another 2 miles at threshold pace. Ideally, my threshold pace should be around 6:20/mile (55 VDOT), though I figured it would be more like 6:25 on the day. But I ran on gravel/dirt, some elevation, and it was cold (in the 30's) - or for whatever reason but I only managed to run 6:32, 6:33, 6:35 splits. Then, in the second bout, I ran a 6:14 mile, but I had to stop during the second mile for a bathroom break (probably 2-3 minutes), and I ran the second mile in 6:23 (without the break, of course). Realistically, the first bout was probably the LT effort, and the second bout was too fast. Though it is hard to know that with the circumstances, what VDOT that corresponds to.

For the second workout, on Friday, I ran 8x3 minutes VO2 max intervals on the treadmill with 2 minutes of jogging breaks. I ran the intervals at 10.3 mph (5:49/mile), and the jogs at 6 mph (10:00/mile). I managed to finish the workout, and it did feel that the fast pace was my true VO2 max (not faster). That would put into the 55 VDOT value. It might be that I have 55 fitness, but my stamina (LT) lags behind.

Here is the plan for race week:

Su: 15L
Mo: 9E
Tu: 3E + 3 x 1T w/2 min rests + 3E
We: 9E
Th: 9E
Fr: Rest
Sa: Race

No comments: