Monday, May 25

I finished the second week of Phase II more or less successfully. My 2 x 8 x 200 went fine, though I *was* ready to be done after the 16th rep. Rep times were 43, 38, 42, 37, 39, 39, 38, 39, (jog), 38, 40, 38, 40, 40, 40, 38, 36 (all GPS measured, some hills, 0.12 mile). As usual, all ran by feel. I didn't know any of the splits until until I downloaded the data.

The long run was quite bad. I went early in the morning without enough sleep. I started at 7am. This was after lots of rain on the day before and during the night, so humidity was truly 100%. It was raining under the trees. The temperature was between 70 and 80 degrees, increasing, but higher temps actually felt better, because humidity was falling.

I started a bit too fast, and didn't drink enough. I was completely saturated with sweat after the first hour (like, running down on my legs). I had a bout of trots (fortunately I was in my neighborhood). The last bit was a real struggle, but I managed to finish it at an average pace of 7:54/mile. I was badly dehydrated. Hopefully I can recover by tomorrow for my next VO2 max workout. I'd love to ace that at least once out of three.

So, as suggested, next week is the last Phase II week. Phase III will up the VO2 max training to do 5 x 4 min, and swaps out the 200's for threshold miles. I wish I could test myself in a race.

No comments: