Wednesday, May 20

I ran a second 5 x 3 minute workout yesterday. This is, 20 minutes warmup, 5 x 3 minutes interval at VO2 max pace with 2 minutes of jogging in between for recovery, and 20 minutes of cooldown. I do it entirely by feel, except when my pace goes out of the 5:40-6:20 interval, my watch warns me.

I felt pretty tired by the last one, and I had to speed up multiple times to keep myself in the correct speed range. My paces were 6:07, 6:02, 6:09, 6:16, 6:18. Of course averaging paces is probably not the best way to measure performance, but due to the low precision of distance for these intervals, it is probably the best we can do: 6:10. This is worse than last week's 6:07, but maybe not statistically significantly worse. These correspond to VDOTs 51.8, 51.3 respectively. The corresponding 200 rep time would be 43 seconds!

It is important to note though that these are not run on a track! There are some hills, wind, etc. So track times would definitely be better.

Clearly there is a mismatch in aspects of my training. My endurance and speed are fine, my threshold is OK, my VO2 max is bad. This is OK. This is what training is for.

No comments: