Thursday, February 11

Still on the quest of trying to find my VDOT. I figured that if my marathon pace is 7:00/mile, then my VDOT (per RunSmartProject calculator) is 52.3, and my LT is 6:36. So last night, I decided to try that for the middle 4 miles of an 8-mile run.

Slight complication was a serious ice storm in Louisville, so I had to find a gym to run. Planet Fitness closed due to inclement weather, so I ended up in LA Fitness. I'm thinking about getting a membership, because weather is not getting better for at least the next 10 days.

I set the treadmill to 6:35/mile, and it felt quite easy for the first mile. I was fine for 3-miles (I did 2-2 breathing until mile 2.9), but then the wheels started to fall off. The last quarter mile was pure struggle. I seriously needed willpower even to just do the last 0.1.

This result is slightly strange, but I think it most likely indicates lack of fitness (VO2 max). I've seen this before. My VO2 max is too close to my LT, so it is hard to maintain my LT for more than 20 minutes. The good news is that VO2 max is the fastest to train up.

I think the rest of the week will be fine, but I do probably need a gym membership.

No comments: