Thursday, January 22

If I thought after Tuesday, that nothing is worse than running in the cold, well, I was wrong. There is a thing: interval training in the cold. Yesterday was my first time I tried out intervals. My original plan I started to use doesn't prescribe intervals, but I read about them before, and I'm sooooo slow, I though this would be a perfect day for that. It's between a regular easy run and a race pace run on Thursday - cross training in my original plan, which doesn't seem to make much sense to me anyway, as I ride 10 miles pretty much every day.

I ran 6 times 1/4 mile, and I walked/jogged between them for 1/4 mile every time. I averaged a little below 1:30, but the last two sprints were a little more than 1:30. At the end of the sixth 1/4 mile sprint, I almost spat my lungs out. My average pace would translate to 5:47/mile; world champion runners run marathons faster than that! It's amazing, that means I couldn't follow them for more than 1/4 mile! Sort of discouraging.

I also definitely realized that I do not like interval training. I sort of remembered this from high school PE classes. My teacher was a basketball coach, and he wanted to make a basketball player from each of us. That means quite a lot of interval style training with jogging/sprinting intervals.

I'm just not very strong, not very fast. I think my VO2 max is not very high. I have a pretty good endurance, I've only been good at endurance sports, this is one reason I chose to run a marathon. I do not enjoy running like hell, even for only 400 meters.

No comments: