Monday, October 12

Training update.

Last week was finished with 61 miles; sounds low, but it was as planned with plenty of hard workouts. All went fine.

Tuesday I did 5x600 at 5K pace, and I nailed it. (5K pace at this point is 5:50/mile.) As it was fall break, I finally managed to do this outside (on the Waggener High School track, which is an asphalt quarter mile track).

On Saturday, I visited the track again for an LT session: 6 miles at 6:11/mile. This is quite a bit faster than my supposed LT pace (6:20/mile), but the training plan wanted me to run a race, so I assumed it was fine to go a bit faster. I think one of the points here to run a race is that approaching the end of the training cycle, your ideal training paces may have changed, and the race gives you the option of run faster. Indeed, after the initial 6:11 mile, I settled into a 6:13-6:14 pace, and it subjectively felt it was my current lactate threshold. I was able to run a 6:01 closing mile and it still wasn't race effort.

Sunday morning I managed a decent 17-mile run, roughly 16 hours after my LT run, and I felt pretty strong, in fact I felt stronger later into the run, and I got quicker, too. Then I got home, and painted rooms all day. Not bad for an old man. :)

No comments: