Monday, October 5

Week 6 of the training is done, the marathon is in 10 weeks.

I had this dilemma about the my goal pace, and the last decision was to settle for sub-4:00, but I still trained like I would prepare for 3:30. I was sort of expecting to blow out, because if I'm only capable of a 4-hour marathon at this time, I thought that a 3:30-goal-pace training would result in overtraining and fatigue. I was ready to feel the effects by week 3-4 and then I thought I would switch back to a 4:00-pace training.

Instead, training went quite well. I was tired occasionally, but it is natural. In fact, I decided to shift all my training one day ahead (that would be much better for schedule) by skipping a rest day. I did that, but then I got sick (basically the same day I ran on my rest day - so it didn't have anything to do with training), and I had to skip the following day. After all, I stayed on schedule. (I intend to skip my rest day today.)

Yesterday I had my "predictor" 5K on the university track. Still having some chest congestion, and after a 30-mile week, I headed to the track. I ran 3200 meters before the actual test. So keep in mind: this was no regular 5K. If was after a long and hard week, I was still a bit sick, and I ran 3200 meters just before the actual test. Then I set off for 5000 meters, and I clocked 21:44. I am more than satisfied with this. This proves that I don't overtrain, and in fact predicts a sub-3:30 marathon.

No, I still don't think I can do that. But I think I can keep training for it. We'll see what's happening on marathon day. There are too many variables.

It is pouring rain today, and I still have a lingering cough, but I'm skipping my rest day today to get an easy 4 miles in.

No comments: