Friday, February 20

Yesterday even the campus gym was closed due to freezing and snow, so I had to find another place. The subfreezing temperatures are relentless (it was -8 F, or -22 C tonight), so the snow is still on the ground, which makes running outside almost impossible.

We have an LA fitness in my neighborhood, so I thought I would use a 3-day trial membership to try it out. It's actually not that expensive anyway, and in winter months I might need some place to work out. The problem with the campus gym, that it will be closed exactly on the days I need it the most. I have access to the treadmill at the fire station I volunteer at, but I thought I would still try this actual gym. Especially because they told me on the phone that they have a 200 meter indoor track.

Well, I got to the gym, and I had to talk to a sales rep (who also claimed to be the brand new general manager), and when he realized that I probably won't be a cash cow, he just arbitrarily pulled the plug on the trial membership, and said that he will have to charge $15 for the day use of the gym. That's the complimentary trial they advertise. Seriously? The "risk free" trial is only given to you, if you will sign up? What a dirty sales tactics?

When I said I'm not paying, he said he could let me work out for free if I give him the contact info of a bunch of my friends, so they can spam them. It's getting worse, right? Well, they showed how customer friendly they are at least, so I know what gym *not* to choose.

I went to the fire station and ran 8 easy miles on the treadmill (ugh). It's funny that the mill turned itself off after one hour. :) I thought about my second quality workout, but I was actually more sore than I expected after Wednesday, so I postponed it. Also, the campus gym treadmills are nicer than the fire station ones. So that workout will come today - in the gym, because tracks are roads are still useless.

No comments: