Friday, February 8

I ran to the Big Four Bridge opening yesterday. This is an old, former railroad bridge between Louisville, KY and Jeffersonville, IN, that is being converted to pedestrian and bicycle usage. The last train crossed it in the 60's, and after that they took down the ramps, so there was large, elevated bridge, not wide enough to build a road on it, but not worth to demolish. So this was the perfect thing to do.

Still, I thought with the way American society is, nobody would be out there. The news about the opening didn't exactly made the headlines. To my surprise, there was a crowd. Running was like when you line up at the back of the pack accidentally at a large race. Fortunately I wasn't in any hurry. The run was long, took me 10 miles to get to the far side from campus and back. You still can't get down to the ground on the Indiana side, because that ramp is still unfinished. I got somewhat dehydrated when I got back to campus, because it was fairly warm (a gorgeous day all in all).

I'm at 50 miles in 5 days. One easy run away from my weekly mileage.

No comments: