Tuesday, March 10

Marathon paced on Sunday was fine, though my legs felt not quite recovered. Then I ran  an easy 4 on Monday, and finally the 5K time trial this morning. I ran 18:49, which is not too bad, but not too good either. The usual hard circumstances: very little sleep, middle of the night (getting up at 4:15, racing at 5:50), blood draws, and fasting. This time we had some light rain, but at least it wasn't cold (47 F). 1600 splits were 5:58, 6:04, 6:06, and I closed in 40 seconds. My goal was to run 1:30 laps, which was reasonably accomplished with a little slowdown.

This is a far cry from 18 minutes, and I'm not sure how much faster I could be in a race. I feel like I could probably get under 18:30, but not under 18 minutes at this point. The 10K will be a better indicator. Also, it is worth it to remember that my training is putting my body into maximum stress: I'm finishing up Phase III of Daniels', and I had quality workouts on Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, and now Tuesday. I have also had a long running streak. No wonder I feel a bit beaten up.

No comments: